I have retreated into the woods, specifically Cathedral Pines. I'm fascinated here by the many surfaces the light touches. Monhegan is one of the top four birding sites on the East coast during migration seasons. The woods are full of birds song.
There is a family of 6 goats who live across the way. I love watching them bound and navigate the rocky shore of Manana. This afternoon, I chose to paint the rugged island that has become a familiar view from my studio door.
Below are my final lino-cuts from my stay. The first "Monhegan Surf" was carved from an earlier painting where I was fascinated by the quiet swell vs. the noise of the surf. The second, "Trap Day" is inspired by the stacks and stacks of traps outside my studio window. On October 2nd, all of the island lobster men set their traps for the winter season of Monhegan fishing. The entire community is involved in loading traps onto boats and supporting the lobster crews. Definitely an event unique to Monhegan!
Thank you to everyone involved in MARC for the opportunity to live and create work Monhegan Island!
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment